Wednesday, July 16, 2008

on why I should wear my glasses


Tonight I was just out walking at dusk and this guy in a suit passed me. Suit, slightly messed hair, and that walk, I would know that walk anywhere! I stopped in my tracks as he passed me, my mouth hung open and then I turned around at him and stared. I guess that I felt the approaching night made me invisible. He sensed me staring at him and turned around and looked back at me.

It was Elder B. from Russia who was on a mission in Russia! He must have been transferred to Provo! And this righteous Elder must have been walking around without a companion, in early evening, on BYU campus! And he’d recognized me too, that’s why he was stopping, to say ‘Hello!’ It was all coming together! (OK, so maybe my ability to think quickly is a little limited.)

The corners of my mouth shot towards the sky and I rushed to meet him, “Elder B. how great to see you!” poised on the tip of my tongue. I got a little closer and to my great astonishment, it wasn’t Elder B. It was a guy who worked at the MTC, who I didn’t know, but had seen around just enough to recognize. I quickly realized my error, and even quicker came up with something witty to say. “I know you” I exclaimed with all the enthusiasm that had been worked up at the thought of Elder B. “You work in the MTC.” He smiled and, without missing a beat, replied “Yes, you work in the MTC too, I forgot your name.” “Well, that’s because we’ve never met, I’m Amy.” I asked his name but in the confusion of the moment quickly forgot it. We paused and established how we had passed each other occasionally and the different departments we had worked at. “OK, so nice to see you; have a good night” I said. “Yes, so nice to see you—was it Tiffany?” “close, Amy” “I knew it ended in a ‘Y’” he said as we began walking our separate ways.

I bet he’ll lie in bed tonight wondering if something about him mysteriously attracts girls, and whether I was hoping for a date.

3 comments:

Julia said...

Hilarious. I told you about the time when I was at BYU and this guy stopped me on campus and asked how I was doing and seemed to know a lot of specific details about my life. He looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't remember how I knew him, and so I started to ask questions hoping he wouldn't read my bluff (you know, "so you are a Chemistry major right, oh Psychology, why was I thinking Chemistry, how is Psychology going?"). I think it was painfully obvious that I had no idea who he was. Then he asked how a mutual friend was doing, and I realized that I had gone on a date with this boy, and completely couldn't remember him. Obviously a memorable date.

Unfortunately I can't blame that one on not wearing glasses.

Amy Catherine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Catherine said...

Julia, that is so funny! Not remembering people is always so awkward. I always try to remember to reintroduce myself if I run into someone I hardly know: "Hey, you're Anna, right? My name's Amy"...