Sunday, August 31, 2008

ridiculously overpriced !

I was walking through the BYU Bookstore as I often do when a cheap little toy caught my eye. It was a little cardboard box with a handle sticking out of it. "I wonder what the handle does, probably play music" I thought and picked it up to test my theory. Sure enough it was a mini little cardboard music box that played a blurb about 5 seconds long and then repeated the blurb over and over again. "Wow" I thought "I wonder what in the world you would do with one of these." I wondered how much it would cost and turned it over to check. $7.99. "Seven ninety nine!!! That's ridiculous" I mentally exclaimed "What a ridiculously overpriced thing!"

Suddenly, and I'm not exactly sure why, I accidentally dropped it. My first thoughts were just curiosity as to whether the little toy would survive the fall. I picked it up and twisted the handle and no music came out. Not only ridiculously overpriced but cheaply made and easily broken! But guess who had broken it. Who pays $7.99 for a cheap little toy that breaks easily?

I do.

3 comments:

Lisa Ann said...

Watch out for the bookstore, you can't take a step in there without running into something which has a price twice its value. I am sorry about the money you lost, the moral of the story is never examine ridiculous objects- they are certain to break.

Kara J said...

I would agree with Lisa on the moral of the story - I'll be sure to be cautious around such ridiculous objects from now on.

That is really unfortunate for you, Amy! We admire your integrity! On a scale of 1- 10 our trust in you just went up to like a 70 million or something. That's pretty darn good.

At least Lon and I laughed for a good minute thinking of all the marketing strategies the evil people in this world could make out of your misfortune. Thanks for the laugh.

Unknown said...

Amy you're so cute! I am up late finishing all this homework I should have done earlier in the week (that's so you don't think I'm always up at 2 am because I'm not!) Thanks for the break from accounting! ;)

-Suzy from the 61st ward