Thursday, August 14, 2008

Good Ole' Harold B. Lee Library

Tonight at 8:00 the library closed early because of graduation ceremonies tonight. I turned towards home--the place I go occasionally because I can't sleep at the library.

In order to shoo everyone out of the library they always play music really loudly over the intercom --always something rousing like the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. I have always had a great dream that one night everyone in the library would become as one and dance to the music as we make our way towards the door. Tonight my hopes were partially realized. A girl spread her arms out and kicked up her sandaled foot, pointing her toes and then she waltzed around just a little. Not many people saw but it made me smile. BYU students are so dorky and I mean that in a good way.

Speaking of the library, just today I was walking to campus with a guy in my ward and we were talking about how you always run into people you know at the library. We decided that you go to the library to avoid all the distractions of your apartment, only to never get anything done because of all the people you run into at the library.

I'm thankful to the library for having become my natural habitat and to my apartment for being my home away from home when I need a place to sleep. Life is good.

2 comments:

Julia said...

I love the HBLL. So, do they switch up the music now? Back in the day they would only play "When the saints go marching in" and once they played "Carmina Burana." That woke everyone up.

Is periodicals still the place to meet people?

Next time you are in town, I will take you to Butler Library at Columbia-- It's beautiful!

Jeff said...

I think I lost my entire social life when I stopped going to the library. SHouldn't it be the other way around?